Friday, March 9, 2012

Peanut Wisdoms - When Every Day Feels Like Bath Day

There have been times when my mommy has said, "Today just feels like a Monday." I always wondered what she meant by that. I had this urge to correct her and say, "No Mommy. Today is Tuesday," but somehow, I always knew instinctively, it wasn't a matter of my mommy being confused about the calendar. There was something more in that little phrase which spoke to how she felt inside.


And so I searched for a puppy equivalent. I studied her expressions; the sounds she made; the way she walked; how many times she would pick me up and hold me tight. I studied every detail of her behavior. Then it hit me. When my mommy said it felt like a Monday, it was like me saying it felt like a bath day!


Now I realize there are pups out there who love getting baths. They love baths the way I love Christmas and opening presents.....


I have names for those kinds of dogs but those names shall remain behind my paw. Those colorful names shall  never be spoken aloud unless I am forced to say them by a very scary man who threatens to pluck my ears and withhold food from me. Needless to say, I hate baths. I endure them because I have to. Sometimes the baths are deserved. (No seriously mommy....the kitty touched me! You HAVE to get the cooties off!!)


But sometimes they are not. (But mommy....why won't you give the worm smell a chance?)


Either way, I still feel bad during the process. So in a way, it is like mommy being stressed. No matter why I am getting the bath, the process of it is no fun.....


 

The thing is though, when I am in the middle of the bath, I try to focus on blessings in my life and not focus on the bath itself. I think about how much my mommy loves me. I think about the blessings of toys, a warm bed, plenty of food to eat, fun loving pack babies, and a big yard to play in. I think about snow days and Spring breezes and sniffing things with my powerful, sniffy nose. The next thing I know, the bath is over, and my heart is full from thinking about all of the many good things in my life.


We all will have days that feel very much like bath days (or Mondays) whichever the case may be, but those kinds of days don't have to overcome us if we don't let them. We can remember the blessings in our lives and the things that really matter most. Focus on the blessings and before you know it, bath day is over and you have a clean slate.


Now, here is the really important question.....anyone interested in rolling on a worm?

No comments:

Post a Comment