Monday, February 20, 2012

The Rumbly In My Tumbly - Puppy Celiac Disease

Hello my friends. I thought I would get serious for just a minute about a very serious subject. It's called Celiac disease in dogs.


I know there are some subjects we typically don't share with the public. Things like how much we weigh, where we are losing hair (or where we are gaining it), whether our feet smell, or whether we eat the entire bag of Doritoes all by ourselves. But the one subject which seems to be universally tabu is potty talk. Whatever happens in the bathroom stays in the bathroom. Right?



Not if it means your puppy is suffering silently from something you can help prevent. Puppy Celiac disease can be a real problem for your little one and can be very hard to diagnose. I should know. I have suffered from it for years. I was hospitalized over and over again and took multiple trips to the puppy ER with gastro-intestinal problems before my mommy discovered the source of my sickness.


I had puppy Celiac disease, which meant that I was allergic to wheat and wheat gluten. Just the tiniest piece of bread could make me sick for days. I was three years old when I had my first bout of illness. I was on expensive food bought at my local vet's, but it didn't mean it was wheat free. Even the low allergen food had wheat. I wound up in the hospital for three days and underwent all kinds of tests. But nothing was found. I was just 'sensitive'. Thankfully mommy figured it out on her own. She surfed the internet and looked for my triggers. I am really glad she did because I am all better now.



If your puppy has chronic diarrhea, rumbly gut noises,or long periods of listlessness that get worse after eating, chances are, your baby may have Celiac disease or at least have a severe sensitivity to wheat and even corn. If you have a puppy with a 'sensitive' system, consider removing wheat from their diets. It's not hard. It just means reading the labels of their food and treats. There are a lot of great brands out there like Blue Buffalo that never use wheat or corn. Trust me when I say, your puppy will thank you.



Thank you mommy!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad your mom was able to figure out what was wrong with you. It's sad that the vet was clueless, but now you are all better. What a great mama you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gracie Lu. Thank you so much. You are such a sweetheart and I LOVE you and your mommy! You are such wonderful friends. If my illness can help someone else, I am glad I went through what I did. Hugs to you both!

      Delete